Tuesday, April 25, 2006

 
Spiral Returns

Ok folks sorry for the long absence from the blog. Essentially, I have been sought after by a few companies for first round interviews. In the last three weeks, I have got one ding without an interview. All others chose to interview me. Its kind of interesting to see so many recruiting industry companies extremely inefficient in getting back on what actually happenned in the interviews. Maybe they sadistically expect me to follow-up...but every second day there has been an interview so I haven't done a great job with follow-up. But atleast luckily with a couple of options I have next rounds lined up - so life looks ok. Have been terribly busy and expect to be extremely busy for the next 3-4 weeks even if one in four of the companies interviewing me in fact get back with some second rounds. I am atleast not as depressed as Mr. Anonymous as yet although. I need to admit that there is a wave of negativism striking the campus in general as pipelines are depleting. I think people should realize that if they don't have campus interviews lined up they are better off picking up the phone and talking to alumni in their field of interest. I see some doing that really well already and some who sit and complain about jobs not being served in platters. But the %age of offers already made (including consultants) is not very encouraging but then certain offices are to get back still.


Coming UP: The DS Ranking of Consultants
As I was browsing through the dean's list released for P3, I saw a bunch of consultants and wannabe consultants in the list and I started going through the data and found some very interesting correlations. I am currently doing an "Unofficial ranking of Consultant Quality" that I plan to report out in the next post. The idea is to rank the "TOP 4" consultants based on the performance of their "Alumni" in INSEAD. I can't rank Booz Allen Hamilton because not enough alumni of that company (<5 samples) have actually made it to INSEAD ;-). But I am going to publish a ranking of Bain, McKinsey and BCG based on the academic performance of their sponsored employees in our school. (Trust me, going through the data is a lot of work and there is no way to make any scientifically inference, but then scientific inferences are made by consultants, I am an industry guy who goes with "gut feel" right?). Please note that only the Dean's list is public information (top 10-12 percentile of class) so I am going to put in the effort of sorting through the data to find the %age mckinseyites in deans list, %age Bainies in the deans list and %age BCG ites in the deans list to rank them all.

So to pep up the conversation lets see if all of you commentators are smart enough (including the anonymous ones) to rank the three in the right order. Remember this is pure academic acumen and nothing else :-).

Wannabe - where are you? I miss you when there are polls ;-).

Comments:
My votes 1. BCG 2.McKinsey 3. Bain 4. Booz Allen
 
I'm still hanging around somewhere...

So looks like life is going to be quite interesting for you? I may sound a bit lost here, but what field of consulting are you going to get into?

Howabout the expected salary? :P Lots of people would be interested in expected salaries of consulting :P

I know somebody who is doing some form of Management consulting for IBM, how would that be vs. blue blooded management consulting companies?

And company differentiation - how would you differentiate McKinsey from Bain ,and if you had a choice who would you go to and why? :P

1. McKinsey
2. BCG
3. Bain

p/s Yes, I'm at work and bored :P
 
Actually, we know the rough expected salaries, but howabout YOUR expected salary? :P
 
I won't try to rank them ..anyway I just wanted to say that I am glad to have you back...
 
Well now that the clock is ready to strike midnight, Cinderella needs a prince to come and hand her the glass slipper!

The real world is no fantasy land and INSEAD grads are no Cinderellas...well not the July promotion atleast.

What happens every year at this school is that the major recruiters over-hire from the January promotion and ding the subsequent July promotion. Has been happening for years and is still happening.

Atleast you now know why my past comments have been so negative.
-The original Mr. Anonymous
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?