Sunday, April 02, 2006

 
Where are the sundays?

Thank you all for the wishes. I am glad the recall value of my recruiter is reasonable within Europe :-). Now that someone called Siemens a boring company, I think I should apply to them. They just sound and feel too German for me. From conversation with these european companies, I feel the German companies are the ones that are most unlikely to recruit MBAs. So haven't spent a lot of time investigating them.

Life is moving quite fast. Sundays have stopped being weekends. I have cases to read and group meetings to attend today besides writing a cover letter so that I can focus the "recruitment energy" for the rest of the week on the interview preparation / attending a couple of presentations. This week we have companies like Guidant, Amex, Mittal Steel, Carrier visiting. That is more impressive than a consulting list atleast to me :-).

Career Fair
INSEAD for the first time in its existance conducted two career fairs. One for boutique consulting companies the Friday last week (we had Accenture in Boutiques :-)) and then we had one industry career fair this week. Amazon, GE, CEMEX, Philip Morris were amongst the 20 odd participants we had. I think it was fairly well organized and I atleast got a couple of interesting leads.

Comments:
Guidant - will only consider people with prior pharma experience for its sales roles. People with finance for its finance roles. Everyone else is wasting their time.

Amex - Will do a fit interview on campus with HR people. Shortlist 10 people and then never get back to them.

Mittal Steel - Horrible. Will treat applicants like crap through the process. Has a total Indian company attitude.

Carrier - Will send its high profile France CEO for the presentation and probably pick 2 people who are French speaking for French operations. So much for international recruiting.
 
BT is the only company that is seriously interested in INSEAD gards for their One IT strategy group.

Lots of flakes out there. Be careful where you spend your resources.
 
About the flakes, I agree. Recruitment season sucks blood.

Just to counter a factual inaccuracy about Guidant - Its HR has sent out an invitation to me showing interest in my "profile" and I know based on the customization level of the email that they do know what they are talking about. I belong neither to finance nor Pharma. Besides why would a cath stent manufacturer (Likely to be part of Boston Scientific and NOT J&J) be interested in Pharma grads?

About Mittal and Carrier - I have a DKDC attitude at the moment.
 
let's see if you maintain the same impression of Guidant after your interview. Ahem.

You didn't mention Philips? Would have loved to read what you thought of their very obnoxious HR guy.
 
By the way I got to know from someone that the top 4 consultancies (McK, BCG, Bain, BAH) are always hosted by Indians at INSEAD.
Any truth to this?
 
Interesting point about the indian guys hosting the top 4. I was at the presentations and I remember distinctly that 2 Indians hosted two of the top 4. I think one was hosted by an Israeli don't recollect the host for the 4th one. Interesting comment though. The indians for sure seem very interested in the consultants ! Any idea why?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?